china232.com
August 20, 2014, 12:26:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hello everyone, Please register on the forum and discuss different topics in English with us!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Juno. A great movie!  (Read 6128 times)
andy
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2008, 05:11:08 AM »

I just wrote a blog about the movie "Juno":  http://china232.com/blog/andys-movie-reviews/juno.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the movie.  Did you find it funny?  Did you like it?  Why/why not.  Watch the movie and write.  It's great practice and its a fun way to learn! Smiley

Andy
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:17:14 AM by andy » Logged
mike.s

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »

hi, andy!
I watched this film last month, red your blog. You're right - Yuno is marvelous, but my english is not Smiley I understood 1/5 but one moment was brilliant for me: I don't remember who and when but someone told about bringing much to the table! That was awesome! Poles speek "biting the wall" (that's mean : no way, imposible Smiley ) to understand that staff without your work.  Luckily, there are Best brothers:)

Next I figured out that whole film consists of such slang, casual sentences and phrasal verbs, so a lot of work to do!

Did you read about screenplay's author? Interesting story, I heard somewhere (through the grapevine Smiley - my favourite) Yuno is about her own life. And of course she got oscar! I think she deserves!

I must rethink what I will do when my daughter will came one day and say 'I'm pregnant' Smiley Now she is 13, so this time is close.  Roll Eyes
Shane

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:56:30 AM »

After having heard the movie from Oscar nominations, I borrowed a DVD from our local library and watched it last year.  I did find it funny, but I am sure I probably missed a lot of sarcasm.

Birth control and teen pregnancy and abortion is such a controversial but common issue here in the United States.  (I think it is also true in Canada.)  There is no easy answer to this problem.  It has so much to do with Western culture and religious beliefs.  I didn't think it was a big deal when I came to the States from China almost 14 years ago.  I thought it should be a woman's choice.  If a woman doesn't want to keep a baby, she can have an abortion.  Pure and simple!  Since then I have learned things are not that easy.  Pro life or pro choice, that is the question.  Although I still believe it is a woman's decision to make when it comes to her pregnancy, I realize she faces a lot of obstacles and difficulties if she wants to have an abortion.  In a perfect world, no girl should get pregnant before she gets married.  However, we don't live in a perfect world, do we?

What do you think about this hot-button issue, Andy and Add?  By the way, I really enjoy your audio and video podcasts.  They have lived up to the name "Fun English Lessons".  That is why I decided to join the forum and start to participate.  Keep up the good work!  Everyone who wants to improve their English will be benefiting and thanking for what you do.
andy
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 05:44:58 AM »

Hi Shane,

Thanks for comment. 

I personally am pro-choice.  Obviously, it's a tough decision, but ultimately I think the woman should have the right to choose whether or not to have the baby.  It's not as hot an issue in Canada as it is in the USA, although there are certainly a lot of people on both sides of the issue. 

Andy
Gian

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 07:42:09 AM »

Hi, Andrew

I am new here. My name is Gian, 37, and my wife and I are spending a few months in Baltimore - USA. I watched Juno last year, if I am correct. A good movie, I think. The situation Juno has faced is pretty common. But, in my point of view, she had all the familiar support that she needed. Tha's not happens frequently. Maybe in the USA, because, in my country, Brazil, usually parents get really worried with adolescent pregnancy. I don't know how it works in another countries.

Thank you for the opportunity of share my impressions and my (yet) bad English writing.

See you,

Gian

PS. I don't know why but I thought you were Add. After I have seen photos of you both in the blog I am starting to get used with your "faces".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: